Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Education of Jah Amiel


The Education of Jah Amiel

Jah Amiel went out the backdoor of his house and knocked on his grandpa's door. Grandpa was lying down proofreading but got up when he heard his grandson at the door. He had to get up for the little savior of the world, as his grandson told him he was going to be.

He opened the door and Jah Amiel came in on a mission as he nears his third year on earth, May 31. "I want to see the American," he told his grandpa excitedly.

What?
The American!
What?
The American!
What?
I want to see the American! His grandpa had no idea what he was talking about, until Jah Amiel pointed to the large poster of Langston Hughes on the wall.

Oh, Langston Hughes?
Yeah. On the computer.
Oh, you want to see Langston Hughes read I, Too, Am America?
Yeah.
Ok, ok.
Grandpa turned on Youtube and found the site with Langston Hughes reading his classic poem.
Meantime Jahmiel found a tape dispenser and pulled off a piece.
Gonna tape my mouth.
Not now, Jah Amiel, you gonna read with Langston.
Ok. He stopped for a moment to read along with Langston.

I, too, sing America

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes.
But I laugh
And eat well.
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--
I, too, am American.

After reading the poem once, he told his grandpa to play it again and he again recited with Langston, then he put the tape over his mouth.

Lately, Jah Amiel doesn't accompany his grandpa downtown to his Academy of Da Corner. The people ask grandpa where's Jah Amiel? But his mother put him in Montessori school. She told her dad Jah Amiel could come to his school on the weekends.

After he went to school, his grandpa asked him what he learned?

How to play in the sand box.
That's all?
Yeah.
Grandpa thought about it. He figured this might be an important lesson, since many people never learn how to play in the sand box without throwing sand in other people's face and eyes throughout their life.

What did you do today at school, Jah Amiel?
I been working at school and I'm tired.
What kind of work did you do?
I worked. I'm tired.
Well, you better go home to yo mama.
Ok. See you later alligator!
His grandpa replied, after while, crocodile!
--Marvin X
4/20/10
www.theeducationofjahamiel.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. I just love that young warrior. Montessori is cool for him. He will learn to be a self-motivated learner and will be ahead of the pack in social skills.Maria Montessori was a revolutionary teacher and was good friends with the Sufi Master musician and wise man, Hazdrat Inyat Khan. Life Skills is a major component of the Montessori method. The young warrior will learn not to throw sand unless the deaf and dumb did not hear him the first time, like his grandpa be doin'!~Love and Gratitude~ MoonCatCrew aka Rasheedah Sabreen

    ReplyDelete